Driving abroad in the Free Circulation Zone

If you’re thinking of driving your own car within the Free Circulation Zone, you will be required to carry a Green Card with you.

For more information please read on.

What is a Green Card and when should you ask us for one?

Basically, a Green Card is proof that you’ve got the minimum legal requirement for third party insurance within the Free Circulation Zone. Please contact us 7-10 days before you plan to travel and we’ll issue a printed copy of your Green Card. You can order a Green Card online in My Account, or you can call us on 0345 045 1000. You can also request a PDF copy of your green card for you to print at home. If you’re taking a trailer or caravan with you, you will also need a separate green card for this – please request this alongside your main car Green card.

What level of cover do you have when driving in Europe with a Green card?

The simple answer is Third Party Only, for a maximum of 90 days in a single period of cover, which means a Green Card doesn’t include any cover for you, your belongings or your car. If you’d like to upgrade your cover to the same level you hold in the UK please call us 7-10 days before you travel on 0345 609 2565.

Where can I find further information on Green Cards?

You can find further updates on the Government website.

What are the Free Circulation Zone countries?

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (incorporating Liechtenstein), Slovakia and Slovenia.


Go back