European Car Insurance

How do I get car insurance with European cover?

If you’re planning to drive your car in Europe, you’re going to need short term European car insurance. The good news is if you have a comprehensive policy, driving in Europe is usually included. But the cover is probably different to what you have in the UK.

European car insurance is typically equivalent to Third Party Only cover, but some insurers may provide you with the same amount of cover you have in your policy. Most usually give you the option to top up your cover to the same level for a small charge. If you have an esure car insurance policy, then you will have the same cover for 90 days as you have in the UK, absolutely free when driving in any country in the EU.

Do I need to do anything before I drive my car in Europe?

With an esure car insurance policy, if you’re driving abroad in Europe, you will still need proof (your certificate of motor insurance) that you have insurance in place. In some countries you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP), which you can apply for at your local post office.

You should also take:

  • V5C certificate (vehicle logbook)
  • Proof of ID (Passport or picture driving licence)
  • Travel insurance documents
  • Policy number for emergency claims in Europe
  • For more information from the UK government website, find out more here.

We also recommend you do the following:

  • Research your destination’s road signs before you go

    If you’re going to be driving in another country you’ve never been to before, it would make your experience much smoother if you research the local road signs. There are plenty of resources online where you can do this.

  • Learn the law of the land

    European countries can vastly differ in terms of what they expect you to do to comply with their motoring laws. Some require you to carry certain driving supplies on board with you, such as France where you can be fined for not having a high visibility vest in your car.

Do I need a Green Card to drive my car in the EU?

UK drivers don’t have to carry Green Cards when driving their vehicle in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland.

What does esure temporary European car insurance cover?

If you’ve got a policy with us, the European cover you’re entitled to is up to 90 days, and is the same cover as you have in the UK absolutely free, when driving in any of the following countries.

  • Any country in the EU
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • The cover also includes additional drivers on your policy.

A few tips before you set off

  • Save your insurer’s claims number in your phone, so you can reach them quickly if you need to.
  • Remember to pack your Certificate of Motor Insurance, driving licence and vehicle log book. These will be the most important documents you’ll need when making a claim. Don’t leave home without them! Remember to check other requirements for each country you plan to visit too. Find out more here.