Make a travel insurance claim

Below is a summary of how to make a claim - please take time to read the full claim section in your Policy Booklet when you receive it.

You'd expect a company like esure to have a first class claims service and you'd be right. Call our claims team and we'll take all your details in minutes.

Keep your policy details safe and take them with you when you go on holiday. You'll need your Policy Booklet if you have to make a claim.

Make sure you have your policy number with you when you phone.

When you are away:

  • If you're in an emergency where you need medical treatment, please contact us on +44 (0)20 8603 9961 when you are hospitalised, require repatriation or where medical fees are likely to exceed £500. You'll need to get a medical certificate if you wish to make a claim. 
  • If you're claiming compensation for theft, mugging, loss, damage in transit, travel delay or catastrophe, you must get a written report from the relevant authority. Please keep any receipts that will support your claim.
  • If you need to get home before the end of your holiday, contact us on the phone number above before you go home.

When you're back home:

If you need to make a claim, please call 0345 600 3951 on your return to the United Kingdom.

  • For all claims, you'll need to provide your original booking invoice/receipt.
  • For any claim which is the result of accident, bodily injury or illness, you'll need to complete or obtain a medical certificate.

You'll also need to provide certain documents depending on which section of the policy you are claiming under:

If you need to curtail your journey call +44 (0)20 8603 9961 immediately to get our prior agreement.

  • Original cancellation invoice(s) detailing all cancellation charges incurred.  
  • For claims relating to illness or injury a medical certificate will need to be completed by the treating doctor. A certified copy of the death certificate is required in the event of death. 
  • If your claim results from any other circumstances, please provide evidence of these circumstances. 

Medical expenses:

  • Always contact our 24-hour emergency medical service when you are hospitalised, require repatriation or where medical fees are likely to exceed £500.
  • Medical evidence from the treating doctor to confirm the illness or injury and treatment given including hospital admission and discharge dates, if this applies.
  • If you are advised by a doctor at your resort that you cannot go on your pre-booked excursions because of medical reasons, you should obtain a medical certificate from them confirming this. 

Personal possessions and Personal money:

  • Report the theft, damage or loss to the police within 24 hours of discovery and ask them for a written policy report.
  • If appropiate, you should also report the theft, damage or loss to your courier or hotel / apartment manager and ask for a written report.
  • Original receipts, vouchers or other suitable evidence of purchase / ownership / value for lost, stolen or damaged personal possessions.
  • Confirmation, such as foreign exchange receipts and withdrawal slips, from your bank or bureau de change for issuing foreign currency, or suitable evidence for Sterling. 
  • Keep any damaged items as we may need to inspect them. if we make a payment, or we replace an item, the item will then belong to us. 
  • Obtain an estimate for repair for all damaged items. 

Loss or damage in transit claims / delayed possessions:

  • Please obtain a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) from the airline or a carrier's report from the rail company, shipping line or their handling agent. This should be done within 7 days of the delay / loss / damage. You have 21 days to write to the airline confirming details of essential replacement items purchased.

If your passport is lost, stolen or destroyed:

  • A receipt from the Consulate confirming the cost of the replacement passport and a written report from the police if your passport is stolen. 

Missed departure:

  • Detailed account of the circumstances causing you to miss your departure together with supporting evidence from the public transport provider or accident / breakdown authority attending the private vehicle you were travelling in.

Delayed departure:

  • Written confirmation from the airline, rail company, shipping line or their handling agent of the scheduled and actual departure times and why the departure was delayed.

For all other claims, please refer to the relevant section of the policy.

*Call charges may vary and calls may be monitored and recorded.