Coronavirus (COVID-19) - for our latest guidance and support please visit our dedicated Coronavirus Hub 


Home insurance

You could pay £156 or less, 50% of our new customers did between July - December 2019

Buy today and you'll get:

  • Access to our 24/7 emergency helpline
  • "One of the highest quality offerings in the market" -

What does esure cover me for?

Contents Cover


Contents Insurance

How can we protect your contents in your home?
  • New items for old – we will replace your stolen or damaged contents with new ones
  • Garden contents – up to £2,000
  • Personal money – up to £750
  • Student cover – up to £5,000
  • Special Events cover – up to an extra 15% of the contents sum insured*
  • Home office equipment – up to £10,000

These limits are included in and not additional to your sum insured.
*Four weeks before and after a special event, such as a religious festival.

You can also...

  • Get up tp 5 years No Claims Discount if you haven't claimed in the last 5 years
  • Add Accidental Damage cover at a small price to protect you from the unexpected
  • Buy buildings and contents cover together for a discount

Find out more about contents insurance

The current limits on what we pay can be found here

Need help with calculating your home’s content value? Our home insurance checklist can help you.



Building Insurance

How can we protect you and your home?
  • Alternative accommodation – up to £75000
  • Sum insured for buildings – unlimited
  • Cover for locks and keys – up to £1000
  • Property owners liability cover – Up to £2 million as standard

You can also...

  • Add Accidental Damage cover at a small price to protect you from the unexpected
  • Buy buildings and contents cover together for a discount

Find out more about building insurance

The current limits on what we pay can be found here

Add on at no extra cost…


Family Legal Protection – FREE for the first 12 months, when you buy combined Buildings and Contents Insurance

  • Access to expert lawyers with up to £50,000 legal costs covered for you and your family
  • No Claim Discount not affected


Home Emergency Cover – FREE for the first 12 months, when you buy combined Buildings and Contents Insurance

  • One call to us and we’ll arrange for a contractor to visit your home and carry out the emergency repairs. Call-out charge, labour cost, parts and materials to a limit of £500 (including VAT), no problem, that’s covered by esure


Boost your cover

Personal Possessions


Personal possessions cover

With Personal possessions cover, your belongings will be covered while they are away from your home.

More info

For a small fee you can get cover for accidental loss, damage and theft of your personal possessions while they are temporarily removed from your home anywhere in the United Kingdom and for up to 60 consecutive days anywhere in the rest of the world.

Pest Cover


Pest Cover

If you call out a professional to deal with a pest infestation, we'll cover the cost of the call out and extermination, up to a total cost of £150 (including VAT).

More info

Spend a little extra to avoid ringing around – you can claim for the call out charge and the professional extermination or control of wasps, hornets nests, rats, mice or grey squirrels subject to an overall limit of £150 (including VAT per claim).

For the treatment of bed bugs this cover will pay the contractors charges subject to a maximum of three treatments / extermination and an overall limit of £200 (including VAT) of bed bugs in one infested area in the event of an emergency.

Annual Travel


Annual Travel Insurance

With our annual travel insurance you get cover for an unlimited number of worldwide trips per year, subject to a maximum duration of 45 days per trip.

More info

When you spend a little more, you can add Annual Travel Insurance (Home optional extra) to provide two adults and up to six of their children (including foster children, adopted children and grandchildren), with worldwide cover for unlimited trips subject to a maximum duration of 45 days per trip.

Winter Sports

You can also add cover for winter sports.

What is Home Insurance?


Home insurance provides cover for the structure of your home, its contents or a combination of both. 

So, in the event of fire, theft or extreme weather conditions (e.g. causing flooding or subsidence), buildings insurance would cover damage to the structure of your home, while contents insurance would cover damage to things in your home or garden. 


What’s the difference between buildings and contents insurance?


Buildings insurance

Covers the actual structure of your home – including things like walls and windows, but can also extend to permanent fixtures like bathroom suites.

Please note; if you’re buying a home, you are likely to need buildings insurance in place when you get a mortgage (this is a condition for most mortgages).


Contents insurance

Provides cover for any items in your home that aren’t part of the structure or fitted into your home – including things like furniture, TVs, home office equipment or items in the garden.

Please note; contents insurance isn’t required for a mortgage, but if you want cover for your belongings, you may want to consider having contents insurance. 

How do you get a quote? The 5 things we’ll need to know


If you’d like to get a quote for esure Buildings Insurance, Contents Insurance or both we’ll need some information from you. 

Once we’ve got this, we’ll use it to work out any risk associated with insuring you, make a few assumptions about the property (e.g. that it’s your main residence, it’s made of brick, stone or concrete, and it’s in a good state of repair), then prepare a quote for you. 

If the assumptions and information are correct, you can pay for your policy right away and get immediate access to your account (to see your schedule, certificate and other documents). 

Here are the details we’ll need:


1. Some personal information

To get started we’ll need your name, date of birth, phone number and occupation.

2. Your Postcode

This is so we can find the address of the property you’d like to insure.

3. Answers to a few questions about the history of your home and you as a homeowner

Things like, whether you’re a first-time buyer, whether your property’s ever been damaged by flood or subsidence, and whether any claims for loss or damage have been made by anyone living permanently at your address in the past three years.

4. Answers to a few questions about your property

Things like, what kind of property is it (e.g. a flat, terraced house, converted church), what year was it built, how many bedrooms does it have, and is it owned outright, mortgaged or rented?

5. Details about your cover

This will include whether you’d like any Optional Extras, what level of voluntary excess you want, the contents sum insured, and any specified items you’d like to add to your policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does home insurance cost?

This depends on a number of factors – like the location, whether you or anyone else at the address has made claims in the past, plus the value of your home and its contents. Insurers look at all kinds of things when considering how risky it is to insure you and the cost of the insurance.


What’s accidental damage?

This is any damage that happens to your home or its contents that’s the direct result of a single, unexpected and unintended event (one not resulting from any of the other causes detailed in our Policy Booklet). Full Accidental Damage isn’t covered by esure Buildings Insurance or Contents Insurance as standard, but it can be added to your policy as an Optional Extra.


Is my mobile phone covered by esure Home Insurance?

While we do not offer standalone Mobile Phone Insurance, it could be covered under our Contents Insurance.


Is my bicycle covered by esure Home Insurance?

Yes, as long as it stays at your home it’s covered by our Contents Insurance. Please note, if your bicycle is worth over £500 as new you’ll have to name it as a specified item in your policy. And, if you want it covered away from home, you should add our Personal Possessions Insurance.


What are high risk items and which ones do I need to specify?

High risk items include things like watches, jewellery, mobile phones, paintings, articles of silver, gold or other precious metals, collections of stamps, coins or medals, computer equipment and furs. Please note, if your computer equipment is portable and you mainly use it for business purposes, it would not be classed as a high risk item. In terms of which items you need to specify in your schedule, it’s anything you’d like


Am I still covered if I leave my home unoccupied over a holiday?

The answer’s yes if you’re going on a short holiday. However, if you plan on leaving your home unoccupied for 30 consecutive days, this will void a number of elements of your cover (take a look at our Policy Booklet for more details).


Does esure Home Insurance cover my child’s belongings while they’re at university?

Yes, if they’re a university student their belongings can be covered by our Contents Insurance if they are in university accommodation.


If I take things outside my home, does esure Contents Insurance still apply?

We only cover items that are kept in your home. If you’d like to protect them while you’re out and about, adding our Personal Possessions Insurance may be something you wish to consider'


Are leaks covered by esure Home Insurance?

Yes, they’re covered by our Buildings Insurance. If the structure of your home is damaged due to water escaping from your home’s water tanks, pipes, equipment or fixed heating systems, esure will cover the cost of finding the source of the leak and repairing what’s damaged as long as its not classed as wear and tear.


Does esure Home Insurance cover my boiler?

Providing you select Home Emergency cover as an optional extra, if your boiler breaks down and you’re left without hot water or heating we aim to cover it. That’s as well as if a boiler fault causes you to lose water pressure or causes a water leak.


Can I claim for fallen trees?

If a tree falls and damages your home or its contents, esure Home Insurance is designed to pay for any loss or damage caused. Saying that, if your home or contents are not damaged we won’t cover; the cost of removing a fallen tree or; any other damage caused.


Does esure Home Insurance cover rising damp?

Unfortunately not. Neither our Buildings Insurance nor Contents Insurance covers it as it’s considered normal wear and tear on your home, there are however some steps you can take to prevent and treat rising damp yourself, here are some helpful tips.


Do I need home insurance if I’m renting?

Generally, your landlord will have buildings insurance for the structure of your home, but you may still want to have contents cover for your personal belongings. You may also want to look into getting Tenants’ Insurance.



Make a claim

Find out how to make a claim. We're here to support you when you need us the most

Policy information

If you want to find out more about our policy details please click on the link below

Home Insurance Hub

Learn more about our insurance, our level of cover or available add-ons and how they can suit you.