Over 70s Home Insurance
5 Star rated home insurance for over 70s
Get your quote in minutes
Trusted by customers with their car and home insurance
Over 70s Home Insurance
You’ve probably been retired for a few years now, enjoying your well earned time off. Be it travelling abroad, or wining and dining at your favourite restaurant. Your time is now all your own, and you can choose to spend it exactly how you want to. You might have made some improvements around your home, or you want to swap the city rat race for the countryside. Either way you might be thinking about home insurance more, and how any life changes could affect what you pay for your policy.
How much am I expecting to pay for over 70s home insurance?
When you buy buildings or contents insurance with esure, we treat everyone the same regardless of age. But, there are plenty of other factors that could affect what you pay. If you’re thinking of relocating to be nearer family, or simply just want to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city–it’s worth researching your new area and home with a fine tooth comb. We won’t insure homes that have a great risk of being flooded or those on a flood plain. We also don’t insure any property that has a thatched roof. If you’re thinking of downsizing you might save on your policy, but this does depend on the area you’re moving to.
I travel a lot, will that affect my home insurance policy?
You might have booked yourself a Caribbean cruise, or will be visiting the family in Australia for a while. Depending on how long you’re away, it might be worth checking to see if there are any restrictions in your home insurance policy.
If you’re away for long periods of time, something like a water leak can cause devastating damage if left unnoticed. As a result insurers put in place certain exclusions for the time spent away from home. If you’re with esure, your home is covered as long as you don’t leave it unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days.
I’ve made several changes to my home – how will it affect my home insurance?
It’s not unusual to spend some of your retirement fund on making changes to your home, be it having a new conservatory, or kitchen fitted. If you’ve made any adjustments or are thinking of doing so, it’s probably worth getting in touch with your insurer to see if it will affect the level of cover you have. If you are away for over five days we would suggest that you take reasonable steps to protect your home, like keeping your heating on timed so your pipes don’t freeze and burst during winter.
If you have increased the number of bathrooms in your home, some insurers might put up the price of your policy because the chance of a water leak happening will increase. Likewise if you have extended your property and have furnished your new space, this could increase your contents sum insured (the total amount of cover for the contents in your home) and in turn increase the amount you pay for your policy.
Contents cover–what does over 70s home insurance look like with esure?
You’ve probably lived in your home for a long while now, and have amassed a lot of things, so it’s important the cover you have meets your needs. When you buy esure Contents Insurance you get:
- New for old cover – we like to keep things simple so if we think any of your items need replacing, they are replaced as new.
- Garden contents up to £2,000 – good if you like to spend your afternoons tending to your plants, or reclining on your lounger.
- Money in your home up to £750 – if you have any cash that is stolen in your home our cover is designed to reimburse you.
- Visitors’ belongings up to £2,500 – if you have friends or family over often we aim to protect their things as well as yours.
- Freezer and fridge contents up to £1,000 – when your fridge or freezer gives up the ghost, don’t worry our cover intends to replace your food if it spoils.
- Outbuilding theft cover up to £2,000 – from fishing tackle to garden tools, whatever your hobby is, we aim to cover it in the event of a theft.
Buildings cover – what does over 70s home insurance look like with esure?
- Buildings cover – unlimited, so you’re not underinsured.
- Alternative accommodation up to £75,000 – if we agree you can’t stay in your home we will pay for you to stay somewhere else.
- Fixtures and fittings – we aim to cover your kitchen, or bathroom suite if it needs replacing after an insured event.
- External door locks up to £1,000 – if you lose or have your door keys stolen, we will help you as soon as we can, by either replacing or fitting new locks.
- Unlimited glass and sanitary ware cover – providing the damage is covered by an insured event.
Add more to your home insurance
Getting these great Optional Extras for your over 70s home insurance can help enhance your cover.
If you call out a professional to deal with a pest infestation, we'll cover the cost of the call out and extermination, up to a total cost of £150 (including VAT).
Spend a little extra to avoid ringing around – you can claim for the call out charge and the professional extermination or control of wasps, hornets nests, rats, mice or grey squirrels subject to an overall limit of £150 (including VAT per claim).
For the treatment of bed bugs this cover will pay the contractors charges subject to a maximum of three treatments/extermination and an overall limit of £200 (including VAT) of bed bugs in one infested area in the Home in the event of a call out.
Home Emergency Cover
If you don't want to be stuck on the phone making calls to an out of hours plumber or locksmith, home emergency cover is for you. Just make one call to our emergency helpline, any time day or night and we'll do our best to get your emergency sorted. No Claim Discount is unaffected.
For full information, and terms and conditions on these Optional Extras please look at the policy booklet.
As a new customer you can add free for your first year when you buy Combined Buildings and Contents insurance:
Family Legal Protection
- Access to expert lawyers with up to £50,000 legal costs covered for you and your family
- No Claim Discount not affected
Home Emergency Cover
- One call to us and we’ll arrange for a contractor to visit your home and carry out the emergency repairs. Call-out charge, labour cost, parts and materials to a limit of £500 (including VAT) subject to a £25 excess