Personal Possessions Insurance

What is personal possessions insurance?

If you’re never without your mobile phone – or like catching-up with shows on your tablet every morning during the long commute. You might want to consider personal possessions insurance. While your contents insurance protects these items in your house, the cover stops as soon as you take them outside the boundaries of your home.

Why is personal possessions insurance important?

If you go outside and want to protect personal items, insurance for personal possessions aims to replace your things if they are stolen or broken. Most of us don’t realise how much the items we carry around with us everyday are worth. A tablet and mobile phone could be worth several hundred pounds by themselves, let alone any money we may have in our bags and pockets.

When I buy personal possessions insurance are my family who live with me also covered?

Yes. When you buy personal possessions insurance, we’ll also cover any members of your family who permanently live with you at the same address.

What does esure personal possessions insurance cover?

esure personal possessions insurance covers most items that you’d take with you out of the house. These items can be anything from mobile phones to jewellery, or even items like your clothes and bike. We also cover any cash up to £750 that you might have with you.

We could also cover your mobile phone if it’s damaged by liquid, so if it gets soaked in your bag by a bottle of water, don’t worry you can still make a claim.

It’s worth noting that any item worth more than £1499, or any bikes that are worth £500 or more, need to be declared to us. These are known as specified items.

It’s important that when listing a specified item you tell us the price it would be to buy that item brand new.

I’m going on holiday, does esure provide personal possessions insurance abroad?

If you’re going on holiday and want to cover your personal belongings, insurance bought from esure is valid worldwide, and covers items for up to 60 days when you’re not in the UK.

If I leave my tablet on the train am I still covered?

Yes. Personal possessions cover is designed not to just insure an item when it’s stolen or broken, but also when you lose it. Another example could be that you lose your engagement ring while swimming in the sea on holiday.

Do I need to pay an excess when making a claim on esure personal possessions insurance?

Whenever you make a claim we ask that you pay an excess of £100, but you do have the option to increase this if you want to.

When can’t I make a claim on personal possessions cover?

Of course we can’t cover every item you take out of your home. So here is a brief list of items that aren’t covered by esure personal possessions insurance.

To find out in more detail what we do and don’t aim to cover please read our policy document.

  • We don’t cover anything that can be used as part of your business, for example any tools you have in a van
  • Any personal item that is left in plain view, so if you left your bag on the backseat of your car, your claim would be invalid. But if it was locked in the boot, which was broken into, you could make a claim
  • We only provide cover for your bike, if the entire bike is stolen after being secured to a fixed point. So if someone just steals the front wheel or saddle, we won’t cover the theft
  • We don’t cover any item that is kept in a storage facility. This requires a different type of insurance, which doesn’t fall under esure personal possessions  cover
  • Wear and tear, for example, if your tablet is quite a few years old and has seen better days, we won’t cover you for when it suddenly stops working. Insurance is designed to cover losses that might happen, not things that will. Your tablet, like many electrical devices won’t last forever and will break down at some point after many years of use.


How can I increase my home insurance cover further?

There are a number of home Optional Extras you can choose from to increase your cover in certain areas.

Accidental damage –This type of insurance is in place to cover you for one off accidental events, such as spilling tea on your laptop or putting a nail through a water pipe.

Home emergency cover – If you find that your boiler has broken down or your sink has sprung a leak. You don’t have to ring around out of hours, because home emergency cover is designed to take care of your domestic disasters.  All you have to do is make one call to our emergency helpline and we could cover repairs and call-out charges up to £500 (including VAT).

If you want to add personal possessions cover to your policy please call 0345 045 1000.