Contents Insurance

Whether you’re a homeowner or a tenant looking for a contents insurance policy, it is important you are adequately insured. Use esure’s Home Contents Checklist to calculate the replacement cost of all your contents.

Excellent features and benefits of our contents insurance policy

Cover Included Details
New for old contents cover tick


We'll replace all covered items as new
Home office equipment tick


up to £10,000
Personal money tick


up to £750 of your total sum insured to cover lost or stolen cash
Student cover tick


up to £5,000 of your total sum insured to cover contents whilst in a secure room in university halls or boarding schools, not left vacant for more than 15 days
Garden contents tick


up to £2,000, covering items like tools, plants or machinery (Restrictions apply - please see our policy booklet)
Special Events cover tick


Up to an extra 15% of the contents sum insured. We'll automatically raise your contents cover for up to four weeks before and after a special event, such as a religious festival (up to 15% extra cover) and weddings/births (up to 10% extra cover)


Optional Extras

esure allows two thirds of your contents sum insured for household goods and one third for high risk items. Household goods are all goods including clothing, linen, carpets, curtains and blinds, which belong to you or household or for which you are legally responsible. High risk items are particularly attractive to thieves, they are items which belong to you or for which you or your household are legally responsible. These consist of: jewellery, antiques, paintings, mobile phones, computer equipment, watches, furs, stamp/coin collections and pedal cycles. Please see your policy booklet for more information.

For help with calculating the value of your home's contents download our Home Contents Checklist.

New to esure? If you want to insure items worth £1,500 or over to replace as new, or have a bike and accesories worth over £500 which you need cover for, you can add these as Specified items when you get a quote with us.


What is contents insurance?

Contents Insurance, sounds like quite a simple term, doesn’t it? But often, customers aren’t sure what cover they get, what cover they need, or when extra cover is needed. With that in mind, we’ve put together a quick guide to contents insurance.

Contents insurance provides cover for, well, the ‘contents’ of your home and possibly your garden. As a rule, think of these as things you would take with you if you moved home. As opposed to the building and fixtures which are covered with buildings insurance.

Why do I need it? 

It’s not just a case of insuring your most precious items. Think about what it would cost you to replace all your day to day things if they were damaged in a fire or flood. Furniture, kitchen equipment, entertainment, toys, clothes – if you had to replace all of this at once, the costs would likely be in the thousands, so if you want to protect the contents of your home from fire and theft, it is worth serious consideration.

Do I have to have it?

In short, no. However, as we explained above, taking out contents insurance can provide much-needed peace of mind that you have cover in the event of theft or damage. 

How much cover do I need?

That largely depends on how many possessions you have and what it would cost to replace them. Our handy contents checker can help you estimate the value of your possessions – going through your property room by room is often a good way to start.

What does it cover?

This depends on the particular terms of your insurance, so always check your policy documents and ask your provider for specifics if you are unsure.

Some contents insurance, like esure, provides cover on a new for old basis – this means they will cover you for the value to replace an item at today’s prices. 

As our cover is new for old, it’s important, when calculating your contents sum insured, to use the retail cost of these items if purchased new, not the current value.

What if I take my things out of my home?

Again, check if your contents insurance covers you when your items are away from home.

You may be able to add this on to your policy so that your possessions are covered when you are out or on holiday.

If you’re a student or are considering contents cover for a child moving away to study, you may not need to take out a separate students’ insurance policy. esure contents insurance provides cover of up to £5,000 for student possessions in student accommodation. It’s advisable to check your terms and conditions to check what is classed as student accommodation.

What about my expensive things?

These are often called ‘High Risk Items’ and cover possessions which are expensive and desirable to thieves. For example, jewellery watches and antiques.

You may be required to list items over a certain value on your policy and you should check that these items are covered for their full value.

Anything else I need to know?

Once you have your contents insurance in place, it’s worth confirming with your insurer what evidence of your possessions is needed. If asked to provide receipts, make sure you keep them in a safe place and consider maintaining an electronic copy as well.