Modified Car Insurance

Making your car your own

Modifying your car is one way to make it more personal and unique. Although this is all well and good, one major downside is that it could make your car insurance more expensive.

Why is insurance for customised cars sometimes more expensive?

Car insurance for modified cars can cost more because you could end up choosing a hard to source part, for example a really specific alloy wheel.

Let’s say the specific alloy wheels you chose were later discontinued, and they needed replacing after an accident. Your insurer would have a hard time sourcing an equivalent, and the extra time, effort, and expense undertaken by them is reflected in the price of your policy.

Are there any modifications that could reduce my insurance bill?

When buying modified car insurance, UK policies can vary in price, depending on the type of modification you get. If you had an alarm or immobilizer fitted the price of your premium could be reduced.

I’m thinking of customising my car, does my insurer need to know?

Yes, most definitely! The insurer will likely find out if you’ve had your car modified, when you come to make a claim.

If the modification can be accepted, you may find they’ll just update your policy and make you pay something extra if your insurance has increased.

But if the modification isn’t accepted by the insurer, they may think you’ve deliberately tried to mislead them and cancel your insurance, leaving you without cover and some potentially expensive repair bills.

Whenever you modify your car honesty is always the best policy when thinking about updating your insurance, especially when the modifications either change the performance or value of your car.

What is the best modified car insurance for my needs?

Our role isn’t to advise you on what level of cover we think you require, but what we can do is give you information about the differences between the insurance types.

The lowest level of cover you need to drive on public roads in the UK is Third Party Only. This level of insurance only covers the other driver, their car and property. Your car isn’t covered in anyway. Unfortunately we don’t sell customers this level of cover.

The next level up is Third Party Fire and Theft. This level of insurance also covers the other driver, their car and property, but only covers your car if it’s damaged by fire, attempted theft, or if it’s stolen.

If you want complete cover where your car is insured in an accident as well as the other driver’s then you might want to consider fully comprehensive insurance.

I have modified my car, what can esure insure me for?

When buying esure car insurance, modified cars are quoted for all sorts of prices, and this in part depends on the type of modification or customisation your car has. But no matter what you pay our standard car insurance policy includes:

  • Unlimited legal liability if you cause death or injury to another person while you’re out driving
  • Up to £20 million cover for any damage you do to a third party’s property with your car
  • Windscreen cover
  • Courtesy car while your car is being repaired by our recommended repairers

What other benefits are there being with esure ?

Quite a few – this is what else you can get for choosing us as your modified car insurance provider…

  • All our call centres are UK based ensuring you have the best experience possible when making a claim
  • Our cover is of the highest quality and is rated 5 Stars by independent financial researcher Defaqto
  • Access your important insurance documents with ease using our online customer portal
  • All our customers can get in touch with legal experts, when they need legal motoring advice, this line is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week!

I’ve modified my car but can I modify my car insurance?

When getting a modified car insurance quote with esure you can customize your cover as much as you’ve customized your car. We have a whole range of Optional Extras you can choose from that gives you that extra level of protection.

Motor Legal Protection – this covers legal expenses that aren’t usually included in a comprehensive policy. An example could be getting back your travel expenses when you’re without your car, from the other driver who was at fault in the accident.

Breakdown Assistance – if you drive a lot be it short or long distances, we can put you in touch with expert mechanics 24-hours a day, 7 days a week if you get stuck on the side of the road.

Car Hire Benefit – if your car is stolen or we’ve written it off, we’ll give you a hire car for up to 21 days while we process your claim.

Personal Injury Benefit – if you’re an at fault driver who is injured in an accident the amount of compensation you’d receive for your injuries could be quite small. But Personal Injury Benefit ensures you have greater cover for any injuries you sustain.

Key Cover – if you ever lose your keys we’ve got you covered and can put you in touch with the right people to get them back, if you’ve locked them in your car – or if they’re lost and can’t be retrieved, a new set cut!

Misfuelling Cover – believe it or not this happens more often than you think! If you accidentally put petrol in your diesel car don’t panic. As long as you don’t turn on the engine, we’ll get you in contact with the professionals who’ll remove the fuel and will help you get on your way again.

Please note: Misfuelling benefit does not cover fully Electric Vehicles.